1.23.2011

check. check 1. sibilance. sibilance.







My father is a band director at a high school here in the area, and his band is performing at the Missouri Music Educators Conference here at the end of the week. It's a week-long event where every band, choir, orchestra, and inbetween instructor get together for clinics, concerts and confab in the Lake of the Ozarks. I volunteered to put together a 16-page program for the concert to get some xp in inDesign (which i soon discovered is a "use-it-or-lose-it" program) and get the design synapses firing.

The request was classy, modern, traditional.

I began working the cover by throwing shapes around on the page, seeing if i could come up with any interesting forms... just something to help me see the page, i guess you could say.


From there I realized that what ever image or ornament i used to support the text should actually support what the goals were for the program. So from there i created a 1in X 3/4in box, and built a treble clef by "stamping" the blocks in a similar way we built the letters in the bitmap type project from Type1. I also built the bass clef using the same technique, but cut it out of a large block of color, using the negative space to create the shape. I set the shapes at an angle just to add some excitement.

For the final, I used the school's colors to bring in some of the high school's identity. I brought in a sort of drop shadow to the treble clef to give design some depth The text was consolidated into the top third of the page, and the shapes were redrawn and cleaned up.

The contents of the book had to be kept more straightforward. Evidently there's a program etiquette in formal concerts which I had to learn and replicate in a way that met those standards, but still appeared fresh and clean.

Using the 40 pages of leading exercises from the element project in Type1, i set the program in a book Futura at 9/12.

No comments:

Post a Comment