2.21.2011

VISCOM 2: analog icon

When beginning the process of designing a set of icons based on the mad scientist, I mentally started to pull from the mood established in the archaeology book. My first inspiration came from the splatters in the lab coat page. I knew i could use the horror/messy connotations of the splatter to give character to the set of icons. I then made my own splatter clusters by dropping ink from a paintbrush about three feet above a large sheet of paper (messy). From there, I cut silhouettes out of the splatters to create a base idea for the new icons.
Moving forward, I began tracing these splatter icons onto tracing paper using a sharpie, allowing me a little freedom to manipulate the frame. The icons themselves still needed to be developed...
The last round the icons themselves were adapted to reflect the liquid/curvy frame of the splatter, and the splatter was simplified so that the icon and the splatter combined into a single, unified form.

No comments:

Post a Comment